Check out the Peculiarities of the Stem Cell Treatment for Cancer in Germany
The goal of stem cell treatment is to create a strong immune system that can fight and destroy the disease as a result. When the hematopoietic or immune system does not cope with the protective function, the body becomes vulnerable to attacks from outside (viruses and bacteria) and the inside (cancer).
In such cases, stem cells are some kind of a salvation.
Grafted cells (secreted from bone marrow, peripheral, or umbilical cord blood) replace damaged areas of bone marrow, after which the body’s ability to produce healthy blood cells is restored. In addition, stem cell grafting from a donor can help treat some types of cancer. Sometimes, donor cells recognize and kill malignant neoplasms more efficiently than the patient’s immune cells.
As the stem cell treatment for cancer in Germany is rather popular, there are following ways of the specific cells transplantation
- BMT isn’t performed for patients over 60 years of age. Healthy donor cells are grafted onto the patient’s immune system in order to strengthen their defensive response to cancer cells.
- NST is a procedure that can be performed for all patients without age restrictions.
- DC is administered by subcutaneous injection. It provides support and activation of the immune system to crush and destroy cancer cells.
Types of spinal cord transplants
- Autografting. The patient’s own stem cells are taken, usually from peripheral blood. Subsequently, these cells undergo cryopreservation and storage. Cell sampling should be done before anti-cancer medication. The advantage of autografting is that after this procedure there are no complications.
- Allogeneic. Such transplantation is performed using cells from a genetically appropriate donor, usually a close relative. Stem cells can be easily sourced from bone marrow, peripheral or cord blood. Sometimes, in the absence of a donor ideally suited for genetic parameters, it may be used material from an incompatible giver. In this case, stem cells derived from peripheral blood must undergo a special treatment to prevent and reduce the consequences of this more risky procedure. The potential advantage of allogeneic way is that giver stem cells create their own immune cells, which can help destroy malignant tumors left in the patient’s body after treatment. Despite being relatively safe procedure, there’s a risk of developing “a graft versus host” reaction. However, the specialists will take care of everything and cope with the problem in a case of its occurrence.
Stem cell treatment in Germany is well-known due to the highly qualified hematologists, oncologists, immunologists, transplantologist, and rehabilitation therapists. Clinics are equipped with modern equipment for treatment and diagnosis. Moreover, the specialists provide the patient with the competent selection of the transplant suitable for the person. As a result, due to the healthy donor immune cells usage, the patient gets the restored immune system.